One of my main goals as a medical illustrator is to raise awareness within the scientific community of the importance of visual communication and images as didactic materials.
I want to furnish researchers with very basic tools that will enormously shape the way they evaluate visual information, and enhance their ability to create simple, yet efficient figures, graphical abstracts, data visualizations, posters and presentations.
Researchers, masters and PhD students, postdocs and other professionals working in the fields of Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Biology, Molecular Biology and similar.
1. Visualization Tips for Scientists A – Basics and tips to create effective simple diagrams and graphical abstracts.
2. Visualization Tips for Scientists B – Design didactic and stunning scientific posters and presentations.
3. Introduction to Data Vizualization – Get to know how to optimize graphs, highlighting the relevant data, while ensuring scientific accuracy and transparency.
4. General Topics on Visual Communication – Understanding how humans see and perceive visual elements, and the effects of visuals in preference, attention, memory and understanding.
5. Introduction to Adobe Illustrator for Scientists – Learn the basics of this software, to create effective figures and diagrams for publications.
6. Intermediate-level Sessions – All the above sessions can be developed for more advanced participants, discussing more complex subjects and developing more intricate exercises.
TYPES OF WORKSHOPS
1 / Modular Workshops
Weekly / Biweekly short sessions on different topics. Includes the option of giving homework assignments to the participants.
2 / Full-day Workshops
On a single day or split into modules, this is an excellent opportunity to not only learn the basics to create own figures; practical sessions will also allow the participants to have hands-on experience with some simple graphical tools.
3 / Individual Sessions
Remote or onsite private sessions, tailored to your specific needs and goals.
LATEST DATAVIZ SEMINARS & WORKSHOPS
/ 2022 / Presentation
/ 2023 / Presentation
"Beyond the Bar Chart: Ten Tips to Visually Optimize Scientific Charts", online lecture as part of a monthly seminar organized by CEBAL - Centro de Biotecnologia Agricola e Agro-Alimentar do Alentejo. More here
/ 2022 / Presentation
"Out of the Box(Plot): Tips to Visually Improve Scientific Graphs", lecture as an invited speaker at the 2022 CIISA Congress. More here
"Off the Charts: How a Personal Project Fueled My Knowledge for Data Visualization", part of the 2022 Visual Scicomm Conference, organized by the Guild of Natural Science Illustrators. More here
/ 2022 / WORKSHOP
Data Visualisation and Design for Science Seminars, part of the II Scientific Writing and Communication in Conferences Workshop, organized by the Institute of Environmental Health – University of Lisbon. More here (in PT)
/ 2021 / WORKSHOP
Illustration & Design for Science, for Biomedical Students; organized by the Portuguese Association of Biomedical Sciences.
If you would like to book a workshop, or develop one more tailored to your needs,
get in touch through email@example.com.